5 Core Guidelines for Creating Logos
- Distinction. Does the logo stand out? That does not necessarily mean it needs to be trendy, but it does need to be unique. Longevity is the goal.
- Black and White. Does the logo stand out in black and white or does it need color to survive? We believe that a great logo should be able to stand strong without relying on color or gradient.
- Simplicity. Some of the most effective logos are quite simple. It is not always detail or realism that produces the best logo, but the execution of a purposeful mark.
- One Message. The logo should present a clear message to its viewer. Incorporating multiple ideas can be confusing and distracting, the logo should be recognizable right away.
- Appropriate. Above all the logo should make sense. If the logo is for an audience of children it should not feel corporate and professional, it should be fun and playful.
Excellent logo examples and resources:
Logo Design Love: http://www.logodesignlove.com/15-wonderfully-simple-logo-designs
David Airey: http://www.davidairey.com/portfolio/